This is an eye-opener for old folks like me who forget that 1980 was 20 years ago. COOL! -- this is really far out, man! Hope you think it's groovy, too! Most of the students who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1982. To get some idea about what has influenced their lives, read on -- and try not to laugh... or cry. Then ask yourself, "How old do I really feel?
1. They don't know much, if anything, about 442s, GTOs, AMXs, Barracudas, Falcons, Torinos, Corvairs, or Comets.
2. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot (much less, that he was an actor before he became President). The resignation of Richard Nixon is a footnote in a history book.
3. They were pre-pubescent when the Gulf War was waged. To them, the war was a video game shown on CNN.
4. Black Monday 1987 is about as significant to them as the Great Depression is to you.
5. There has only been one Pope. They can only really remember one President.
6. They were 9 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War or the Iron Curtain.
7. They have never feared a nuclear war or practiced an air raid drill. "The Day After" is a pill to them, not a movie.
8. They are too young to remember the Space shuttle blowing up, and Tienamin Square means nothing to them. The moon landing in 1969 is more science fiction than fact to them. What was Sputnik?
9. They have heard about AIDS all of their life, but don't know anything about cholera, small pox or diphtheria.
10. They never heard about the Salk Vaccine or had a polio shot, and most likely, do not know what polio is.
11. Bottle caps not only have always been screw off, but have always been plastic. They have no idea what a pull top can looks like (or what a beer can opener or 'church key' is). Never had an RC Cola, a NeHi or a Grapette.
12. "Atari" pre-dates them, as do vinyl records and "45's". What's an 'adding machine'? What's a 'slide' rule for?
13. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
14. They have never owned a record player, but have always had a computer. What's a record changer?
15. They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of Pong or Space Invaders.
16. What's the big deal about "Star Wars"? The movie looks very fake to them, and the special effects are pathetic.
17. There have always been Red M&M's, and Blue ones are not new. What do you mean there used to be beige ones?
18. They may have heard of an 8-track, but chances are they probably have never actually seen or heard one.
19. The Compact Disc was introduced before they were born. As children, they were 'filmed' with a video camera.
20. As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents. UPS has always delivered packages to their home.
21. They have always had an answering machine and wouldn't know what to do with a dial telephone. Can't imagine not having a portable telephone, or only one telephone in the house. What was there before the Internet?
22. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have they seen a black and white TV. What's UHF/VHF?
23. They have always had cable and don't know anything about 'rabbit ears', or TV 'tube testers' in drug stores.
24. There have always been VCR's, but they have no idea what Beta is/was. What was Super 8?
25. They cannot fathom not having a remote control.... for everything, but they can program the VCR.
26. They were born two years after the Walkman was introduced by Sony
27. Roller-skating has always meant in-line for them. What's a skate-key?
28. The Tonight Show has always been with Jay Leno..... Johnny who???
29. They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
30. Popcorn has always been cooked in a microwave. How else would you cook it?
31. They have never seen Larry Bird play, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a football player. Who was Mohammed Ali or Cassius Clay?
32. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws, or watched the Mickey Mouse show.
33. The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I, W.W.II or even the Civil War.
34. They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in Iran. A Cuban Missile Crisis?... no way!
35. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
36. They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
37. They never heard the terms "Where's the beef?", "I'd Walk a mile for a Camel", or "De plane, de plane!".
38. They do not care who shot J.R. and have no idea who J.R. was.
39. The Titanic was found? Was it lost? I thought we always knew where it was.
40. Michael Jackson has always been white...... Who were the Jackson 5, anyway? What was 'Thriller'?
41. They think Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not groups.
42. McDonalds hamburgers never came in Styrofoam containers. A 15 cent hamburger.... No way!
43. What's a Ben Franklin store? What was there before Wal-Mart? You went downtown to shop? Why?
44. Elvis Presley has always been dead.... what's the big deal?
Feel free to pass this list around to some other old fogies .............. or add your own nostalgia...